NuVal and Nuts

Monday, November 7, 2011 at 07:14 AM

Since coming to work for NuVal over three years ago, Iam eat a lot more nuts that I used to be.  (Both of those statements are definitely true!)  Why do I eat more nuts now?  After seeing the nutrition that nuts (in their pure form) provide, I was hooked.

Consider these scores for these raw, unsalted nuts:

Walnuts:  NuVal score of 82

Almonds: NuVal score of 81

Pistachios: NuVal score of 67

Peanuts:  NuVal score of 28

Cashews: NuVal score of 25

You can always find walnuts and almonds in my work lunch bag every day.  Walnuts go into my morning oatmeal.  Almonds are that energy snack when I need it.

I love Aurora nuts.  They do a great job with their packaging.  You know exactly what you’re getting.

That’s so important, because look what happens when you add some oil and salt:

• Aurora Natural Raw Almonds: NuVal score of 81
  • Aurora Roasted Unsalted Almonds: NuVal score of 48
  • Aurora Roasted Salted Almonds: NuVal score of 36

I actually discovered this phenomenon some time ago.  I thought that the roasted unsalted nuts that I was eating scored just as high as raw!  The scores came as a shock, and then I tried to roast them on my own and I burned three batches in my oven.  It was kind of a fiasco that made for a great blog post.

Now, here’s some good news.  Just recently, I have started buying a new product from Aurora – “Dry-Roasted” Almonds.  It’s so new, that we haven’t scored it yet.  But I’m hoping that it will score higher than the roasted with oil.  I’ll definitely keep you posted.

In the meantime, enjoy nuts, but watch out for oil, salt and a couple of other things that I’ve learned from NuVal’s dietitians:

• Blanching:
    • Blanching of nuts removes some skin, and with it, some fiber.  Therefore, blanched nuts tend to have lower NuVal scores than unblanched nuts.
  • Calories:
    • While many are packed with good nutrition, nuts can also add many calories to your daily eating plan.  Choose nuts with the highest NuVal scores to get a nutrition punch, and limit the amount you eat to about one ounce per day.

Yes, I definitely eat nuts more often now.  And I do stick to the one ounce rule.  I love the energy they give me. And I need it for the nutty pace of life that we all seem to be running.

Question of the Day

What is your favorite nut?

Posted by: Melissa 15 comments

Posted in: Nuts

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Comments on “NuVal and Nuts”

1. #1 NancyB
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 7:45 am

We always have raw almonds in the house and lately pistachios. Stop and shop carries the Aurora brand. I can’t find any pistachios other than those with “sea salt added”. Does that lessen the NuVal score?

2. #2 c neroni
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 9:10 am

Almonds. Love them. Also walnuts chopped in the Pampered Chef chopper then put on cereal is very yummy!

3. #3 Brittany Otto
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:04 am

I put almonds in my oatmeal every morning at work! Mmmm!

4. #4 Melissa
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:15 am

Nancy -
    Everybody’s Nuts California Pistachios “No Salt” score a 67 on the NuVal scale. Aurora Roasted Salted Pistachio Meat score a 43 on the NuVal scale.
    Melissa

5. #5 Kim
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I have started putting walnuts in my greek yogurt every morning. It adds a good crunch and now I know it adds a great NuVal score too!!

6. #6 kalli
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

almonds for sure! i am a bit surprised that the cashews scored so low…what gives?

7. #7 Juliana
    on Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I love pumpkin seeds with dried cherries! Great quick snack! And cures my sweet salty craving.

8. #8 Suzanne
    on Nov 8th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

how about pecans?

9. #9 Jennifer
    on Nov 8th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love all nuts. Walnuts and almonds tie for first with me, but I’ve recently started loving pistachios, too. And this is pecan time in Texas…they are fabulous, especially toasted.

10. #10 Kailan
    on Nov 8th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I like raw nuts but recently I stumbled upon Emerald’s coco almonds and their cinnamon almonds. I’d be curious to see how they rate on NuVal…

11. #11 Vanessa
    on Nov 8th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I love almonds and peanuts. I don’t eat alot of meat, so I try to get some protein through nuts and pb. I love nuts sprinkled in my oatmeal. I learned alot about the nuval from this post. Thanks! :)

12. #12 Halley (Blunder Construction)
    on Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:54 am

What about pecans?

13. #13 Melissa
    on Nov 9th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Halley -
    Great question about pecans. I checked in with Lisa D’Agrosa, RD, Consumer Response Specialist for NuVal. She had this to say about pecans:

Unsalted raw pecans get a NuVal® score of 65. Pecans score well because they are a natural source of omega-3s, fiber and protein. A friendly holiday reminder: when coated in sugar and dumped in a pie shell, even their natural nutritiousness cannot save them. NuVal® scores for pecan pies range from 1-3.

Hope that helps.
    Melissa

14. #14 Halley
    on Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for answering my question, I’m glad they score well! As a kid, I ate pecans by the barrel. I actually don’t like pecan pie!

15. #15 Chicken Lettuce Wraps - Peek Into Kelly's...Kitchen | BLEND
    on Nov 5th, 2013 at 10:40 am

[…] Chopped nuts, we use whatever is in the pantry  **Check out this blog – NuVal and Nuts! […]