Tina Trades Up!

Monday, April 26, 2010 at 06:56 AM

Hello Blog Friends!  My husband surprised me with a long weekend on Cape Cod to celebrate my 40th birthday.  The kids are at Grandma and Papa’s for three whole nights!  So, I thought it would be good timing for you to hear from someone else who works for NuVal - Tina Haupert!

Tina is an award-winning healthy living blogger with a humongous following on her own famous blog, Carrots N Cake.  She and I connected last fall and she came to work for NuVal in October.  She also writes a NuVal blog called Trading Up Downtown.  It’s pretty amazing to work with Tina and to hear all her stories.  She’s always doing cool blogger things, like making cakes with Kelly Ripa!  So, without further ado, I bring you Tina!

In general, I incorporate a number of healthy foods into my diet, but there’s always room for improvement, right? Even when it comes to the milk in  my morning cup coffee, I know it’s possible to trade up its nutrition.

As a kid, I drank tons of low-fat milk. My sister and I could easily go through a gallon of 1% milk in just a few days. It was nuts how much milk we drank. When I moved out and went off to college, however, I stopped drinking milk as often. Sure, my college had it in the dining halls, but it wasn’t something I’d keep in my dorm room.

Once I graduated from college and moved into my own apartment, I started to buy milk again. But, since I was watching my calories, I opted for the non-fat version. Non-fat milk is a very nutritious option, but when it came to my morning cup of coffee, it was like adding water! It didn’t lighten my coffee at all. I love creamy coffee, so I switched from non-fat milk to soy milk and never looked back.

Ever since I started working at NuVal, I’ve paid much more attention to the nutritional value of the foods that eat. When I realized that soy milk scores an 82(Silk Soymilk LightMilk) on the NuVal scale and non-fat milk scores a 91, I knew it would be an easy trade up, so I decided to give the non-fat version another try.

Adding non-fat milk to my coffee still makes it watery, but now I just leave more room for it. I still love soy milk in my morning cup of coffee, but every few days, I make sure to trade up my milk selection for the more nutritious option.

Thanks Tina!  Lots of our NuVal employees have made trade-ups for better nutrition.  Read about Tyler, Alison, Annette, Leslie and Laura here!

Question of the Day:

How do you take your coffee?

Posted by: Melissa 8 comments

Posted in: Milk, Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

8 Comments on “Tina Trades Up!”

1. #1 Tricia Kuchler
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:11 am

I like my coffee with cream and sugar, but since that’s terrible for you, I get flavored non-fat creamer. It usually does the trick, but sometimes I’ll add a teeny tiny bit of full fat creamer in the mix just to give it a little more umph. If I’m at a diner or something though, bring on the cream and sugar. Or if I know I’m eating super healthy that day, seriously, what’s a little cream and sugar going to do?

2. #2 Karen
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 9:55 am

Count me in as another “coffee with skim milk” crowd. A few times a year I splurge with whole milk or (gasp) cream – yumm!

3. #3 kalli@fitandfortysomething
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 11:57 am

love my coffee with soy creamer :)

4. #4 Julie
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 3:48 pm

A friend of mine recently brought me Silk Light to try. I love it! It’s great in coffee and cereal, or by itself. In the past I used fat free coffee mate. If you read the ingredients it’s a bit scary.

5. #5 Jennifer
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I recently switched to organic skim milk for my coffee, but have never tried the soy milk. I also treat myself to whole milk or cream every so often in my coffee. I’ve tried the faux non-fat Creamer but I don’t like the way it tastes.

6. #6 Catherine Katz
    on Apr 26th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

One way around the watery coffee that still keeps the more nutritious nonfat milk is to use undiluted fat free powdered milk. It doesn’t make the coffee gray, it’s richer tasting and keeps the coffee piping hot. I got the idea from my husband, Dr David Katz. (as in the inventor of NUVAL) years ago when I insisted that I needed half and half in my coffee!! Now that’s the only way we drink it and we both LOVE it!!

7. #7 Karen
    on Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:51 am

My morning wake up is tea :) but I love the smell of coffee.

8. #8 Tula
    on Sep 15th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hey there! Very great points, do explain us as soon as you publish once more anything connected !